Empowerment Through Technology View More
Ruby on Rails Workshop 2015
Announcement post: Running a Better Workshop – Next Up – Rails!
- Date: 30 Nov – 18 Dec 2015
- Format: 6 sessions – Mon and Thu 8-10pm for 3 weeks.
- Location: FCI CR3001
- Commitment Deposit: RM50*
- Sign Up: Fill this online form
Only 20 slots available. You will be divided to groups of 5 and a mentor will be assigned to each group. You are only confirmed after you have paid the commitment deposit.
*This is not a fee. We don’t want your money. This will be refunded back to you if you finished all 6 sessions and completed your project.
What you will need:
- laptop (Mac and Windows only!)
- Lee Zhen Yong (bruce)
- Joey Cheng
- Hii Yong Lian (HiiYL)
- Jack Goh
Session 1: Introduction and Setup
- Setup teams
- Ice breaker: introductions, talk about what participants intend to build
- Concept: VMs and Vagrant
- Setup rails with Vagrant
- Tools: IDE or Text editor
Discuss and brainstorm what to build
Session 2: Gems, Bundler, ERB files
- Concept: routing
- Concept: gems, bundler
- Concept: Frontend development framework – Boostrap.
- Exercise: Install boostrap gem.
Work on static main page and about page with Boostrap.
Session 3: MVC, Scaffolds and REST.
- Install sourcetree, open up example project from github.
- Database design
- Concept: scaffolding
- Exercise: Create Scaffold for Ideas table
- Concept: MVC
design and create tables and scaffold them.
Session 4: GET and POST
- Sending data to another page: introducing requests
- See GET requests as they are passed through the browser
- Exercise: searching Ideas
- Introducing POST: create a user registration form.
- Exercise: create migration – simple user table with plain text password, given a table.
- Exercise: complete the user registration form, and functionality to store the missing data based on what is already completed; The login page is already completed for you.
- see POST requests as they are passed to browser.
Apply GET and POST.
*actually you can setup a user system by just using devise… (http://guides.railsgirls.com/devise)
Session 5: Session and Cookies
- Concept: session and cookies
- Demo: application walk through to demonstrate session vs cookies
- applying cookies and session
Session 6: Deploy to Heroku
- Mentors explain what and why Heroku
- Exercise: Change database from sqlite to postgres
- Deploy application to Heroku
Dress casual and keep calm!